In my last blog, I covered how to take your puppy to the vet the first time so she learns to love these visits! This blog will present what to do in the exam room and afterwards to be sure everything goes well throughout your appointment.
When the vet tech comes to get you for your appointment, be ready to act like a Pez dispenser, giving her treats when she:
- Meets the vet tech
- Gets on the scale to record her weight.
- Goes into the exam room.
- Is put on the exam table. Be sure to hold her firmly so she cannot fall off the table while you wait for the staff.
- If she is not struggling while you hold her on the table, give her some treats.
- If she struggles, gently, but firmly hold onto her until she settles. Do not let go of her while she is struggling or she will learn that struggling works!
- Each time the tech or the vet enters the room, give her treats and ask them to give her treats, too.