Are you just getting started breeding dogs? Or are you a dog breeder looking to learn even more about this wonderful passion? Have you been breeding successfully for years and would like to integrate new science into your breeding program? Want to tailor your dog breeding strategy to ensure your success?
Well, you have come to the right place! This one-of-a-kind course on dog breeding strategy integrates science with decades of experience and learning to give you a new perspective on breeding dogs.
This self-paced, online course introduces you to the Avidog® Transformational Dog Breeding System, which enables dog breeders to align their decisions and actions in eight critical areas in order to reach their breeding goals:
The Avidog® 8-Component Transformational Dog Breeding System
In this course, you will learn about how your choices in each of these areas either contribute to or keep you from achieving your dreams of producing or having the dogs you have always wanted!
Successful Dog Breeding Today Requires Knowledge in Many Fields
To be a truly great dog breeder, you need to understand many fields:
- Animal science
- Cognitive development
- Population Genetics
Holy cow, that’s a lot! Well, today there are many ways for you to learn how to apply these fields to your breeding program. For example, you might take online and local courses from universities, read textbooks, study research papers, and attend conferences.
In fact, I’ve spent the last 16 years doing just that because I lost my beloved Torch to cancer at 2 ½ years of age in 2003. She was the first of our personal dogs that we’d lost before 14 and her death convinced me that the breeding methods I had learned early in my career were no longer appropriate to the present and future of my breed, dogs in general, and scientific research.
So I dug into leading-edge science and combined it with the best from traditional methods to completely revamp my breeding program. Over the past 12 years, I have taken courses, read scientific journals and books, attended and even presented at conferences and seminars. I spent many years, thousands of dollars and a lot of effort to create the system that we use in the Gaylan’s breeding program today.
Along the way, people from around the world began asking for my help. I got questions from breeders from the Far East to service dog organizations in South America to novice breeders in North America. I started small but began to teach the Transformational Dog Breeding System to a few breeders. They encouraged me to share it more broadly so Avidog® and the Transformational Dog Breeding System were born.
Introduction to Transformational Dog Breeding Will Reframe Your Thinking About Dog Breeding
This course introduces you to creating a coherent, scientifically-based breeding program focused on producing physically healthy, mentally sound dogs. It is designed for dog breeders and enthusiasts of all levels and types. Newcomers taking the course will start their breeding programs with clearly established goals and the means to achieve them. Veteran breeders will learn some new ideas about applying new science to their established goals and methods to achieve even more success. And even dog enthusiasts who don’t breed are loving this course because it helps them think through the kind of dogs they want and then find the breeders producing them.
No matter who you are and the kinds of dogs you have, Introduction to Transformational Dog Breeding has something to offer you:
- Hunting, Hunt Test and Field Trial
- Obedience and Rally
- Schutzhund and Ring Sport
- Search and rescue
The lessons introduce you to the many sciences that underlie exceptional dog breeding but in an easy-to-understand way. Although scientifically based, this intro course is presented by breeders for breeders so everything is broken down into understandable, manageable pieces.
Introduction to Transformational Dog Breeding not only introduces students to EIGHT key topics but enables them to create their own plans
Why setting goals is the foundation of your breeding program
- Learn what TWO breeding goals every dog breeder must have
- Consider what other breeding goals are important to you
- Learn how to create achievable goals
- Develop your short- and long-term breeding goals
- Idenfity how your will measure your goals before you get started
How breeding stock selection supports or hinders your goals
- Learn the methods of selecting breeding stock
- Consider how those methods might support (or hinder) your breeding goals
- Be introduced to population genetics and how it fits with your breeding stock selection and goals
- Determine your breeding stock selection philosphy
How breeding methods can help you to your goals
- Learn why traditional breeding “strategies” are NOT strategies
- Identify cutting-edge methods that support (or hinder) your breeding goals
- Be introduced to epigenetics to learn how you care for your dam BEFORE breeding affects puppies’ health and stability for their lifetime
- Decide on which breeding methods you will use to reach your goals
How you rear your puppies supports or hinders achievement of your goals
- Learn the FIVE stages of canine development and how puppy-rearing practices affect them all
- Learn how the Avidog® Transformational Puppy Rearing system can aid in the achievement of your goals
- Continue your study of epigenetics and how to use it in your puppy-rearing system
- Create your puppy rearing plan for your goals
How your puppy evaluation system moves you closer to your goals
- Learn the types of evaluations available to breeders
- Select the puppy evaluations that fit with your breeding goals
- Be introduced to the Avidog® Transformational Puppy Evaluation System
- Create your puppy evaluation system
How the homes you attract and select contribute to your success as a breeder
- Consider the relationship between homes and your breeding goals
- Review the types of homes available to you and how your can find them
- Learn the steps you can take to attract and select the kind of homes that you want for your puppies
- Be introduced to how to evaluate owners objectively (and subjectively)
- Create your Home Selection plan that will enable you to reach your goals
How matching puppies to homes is pivotal to the accomplishment of your breeding goals
- Learn how every owner can get “pick puppy” in a liter
- Learn the THREE criteria that every dog breeder must use to successfully match puppies to homes
- Be introduced to puppy characteristics that enable pups to thrive in various homes
- Create your puppy matching plan that will optimally match your puppies to the homes you have avalable
How analyzing your breeding results relates to your breeding goals
- Learn why a breeding is not “successful” until you have evaluated it years later
- Determine how you want to analyze your litters
- Consider how you can conduct these analyses
- Create an analysis plan for your breeding program
Here is Everything You Get as a Intro to Transformational Dog Breeding Student
ITDB combines self-paced learning with regular access to the Avidog® faculty. It is presented in weekly modules that introduce you to every aspect of a coherent breeding plan. You can proceed through each module at your own pace, spending more time on some and less on others.
1. Ten Modules
- What is the Transformational Dog Breeding System?
- Setting and Measuring Breeding Goals
- Aligning Breeding Stock Selection to Your Goals
- How Breeding Methods Further Your Breeding Goals
- Raising Puppies to Support Your Goals
- Using Your Breeding Goals to Establish Your Puppy Evaluation Plan
- Looking for Homes that Match Your Goals
- Matching Puppies to Homes
- Analyzing Your Breeding Results
- Putting it All Together
Each ITDB module consists of:
- a video webinar that you can watch, listen to and even read the transcript for
- downloadable study guides to guide your learning
- downloadable written reports about additional details on each topic
- worksheets so you can apply the topic to your specific situation
- email highlights and updates
- additional resources that explore or illustrate the module’s topic
2. Online Library of Recommended Tools and Resources
To be a successful breeder, you need to acquire key tools and knowledge but there are so many options out there that it can be tough to find the ones that are worth your time and money. So we have done the thinking for you. We’ve compiled for you a library of what we think are some of the best tools, articles, books and equipment available to dog breeders. Everything on our list has been used in our breeding program and vetted by us personally and the list is constantly being updated.
In an effort to connect like-minded breeders, Avidog® has created a private Facebook page where our students can connect with their classmates and faculty. Whether asking questions, sharing experiences or just swapping puppy photos, our students enjoy and benefit from access to compatible breeders from all over the world and across many breeds.
4. Plenty of Time
Although Intro to TDB is intended to be completed in 10 weeks, we understand that sometimes life gets in the way of our best intentions. So you will have four months to complete the course, access to the private Facebook page, your course dashboard, tools and content.
If you successfully complete all ITDB assignments, you will receive formal certification of the course completion.
6. Experienced Faculty
This course is taught by Gayle Watkins, Ph.D. who has nearly 40 years of breeding experience. Gayle has produced over 60 champion, Master Hunter and field-trial golden retrievers, and have assisted dog breeders around the world. Most recently, Gayle was chosen by the American Kennel Club as the top Agility breeder (2017) and top Rally breeder (2016) among all breeds.
7. Avidog’s 100% Money-Back Guarantee
All of our courses come with a 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee. If you are not totally satisfied with a course, just let us know within 30 days of signing up for the course, and we will issue you a full refund. And that’s a promise! Please note: Refund request must be received by midnight on the 30th day from the date you enrolled in a course.
What Do Our Students Have to Say?
I applaud your courage, vision, innovation, creativity, and passion! You have positively inspired me to take my breeding program to a new level. I am deeply thankful to you for having created Avidog® and all the hard work that you put into this learning opportunity. The highest compliment that I could give is you to say: All of you are outliving your lives – your life’s work will continue to inspire generations of breeders and our companions will advance to new heights…BRAVO!Who thought that a course on dog breeding could be thought-provoking and inspiring but that is exactly what ITDB was. Your passion for the material came through in every lecture and in the helpful comments that came back with the assignments. Thank you…for this outstanding contribution to the world of dog breeding.I have and will continue to recommend this course to other breeders as it teaches you create your successful road map for your breeding venture while providing outstanding support.Thank you all for working so hard to put this together in an easier-to-understand way for people like me who are passionate about my breed and their health. I’ve enjoyed every minute of it!I cannot believe how complete you all have been in putting such a great class together. It was wonderful!I can’t thank you enough for putting together Avidog® University. I stumbled across Avidog® accidentally (and) signed up for the Introduction to Transitional Dog Breeding the same day. It is impossible to find any kind of course designed for dog breeders. Yes, you can find a seminar here and there, and you can find books, but nothing that puts together the level of information that you have put together in this type of format. I will be standing in line for any course you have to offer.I am learning so much and the course is prompting me to engage in very informative conversations with all kinds of people in the dog industry. I hear you on having to be specific so I can better reach my goals. I LOVE THIS COURSE!The ITDB course was so pivotal in giving me direction to my breeding goals and strategy. I was so impressed with the content and the professional way the Avidog team presents their material in both their online and live seminars. It was a no-brainier decision to also join the A2Z Breeder College course. It is these programs that put me above and beyond my personal expectations as a breeder… The biggest reward is when my puppy buyers contact me for the rave reviews in raising great puppies for them! I am so grateful to Avidog as a reliable resource to guide us through the journey of breeding and raising puppies to become the best they can be! Thank you! Jen Shaul, Royal Peak Entlebuchers