Avidog’s Breeder Programs
You have a lovely dog and after much consideration you have decided that you want to breed him or her. You have so many things to think about and decisions to make.
Dr. Gayle Watkins has been breeding Golden Retrievers for over three decades. During that time she has developed techniques to rear litters, evaluate puppies, and match them to homes based on measurable traits. Her creation of Avidog’s puppy rearing system is carefully designed, from conception to placement, to bring out the best in every puppy.
Marcy and Lise have partnered with Gayle for the past six years, co-breeding seven litters of multipurpose goldens. Together they have produced over a dozen Obedience, Agility and Tracking champions, as well as dogs titled in hunt tests.
People from around the world have sought us out for information and advice. Over the years, we have been a resource to long-time and novice breeders alike. We have developed Avidog’s Breeder Programs to better enable us to share our knowledge, experience and methods with you. Whether you have a few questions or concerns about a breeding or litter or are looking for a long-term mentor to provide expertise and guidance with a litter or your breeding program, one of Avidog’s programs will work for you. If you are not sure which program is best, drop us a note.
Breeder Coaching is our most flexible program, where you can get as much or as little time with us as you want. You get to choose the topics you are interested in discussing or the questions you want answered. We can cover simple, how-to questions, such as how to wean or potty-train puppies, or more complex issues, such as evaluating puppies or planning your breeding strategy.
We will schedule a phone or video call at a time that is convenient to both of us, typically a week or more out. (We can also be available for emergency calls from our coaching clients.) You can schedule a single call, several during the rearing of a litter, or weekly calls over the course of a breeding. The choice is yours.
Breeder Coaching payment is also flexible. We coach by the hour so you can buy as many hours as you want–from one to four or even more–and use them 15 minutes at a time, now or over the next year. Hours don’t expire but they are also not refundable.
- One-hour package $200
- Two-hour package $360
- Three-hour package $525
- Four-hour package $650
Get started with Breeder Coaching by clicking the link below.
APET Litter Testing
We have developed the Avidog Puppy Evaluation Test (APET) to provide breeders with a valuable tool in matching puppies to new owners, analyzing each litter and providing new owners with guidance and insights regarding their puppy. APET takes about 20 minutes per puppy and can be used on all breeds and types of pups. It measures about 30 traits, from assertiveness with people and dogs to resiliency to prey drive to forgiveness.
On occasion we are available to evaluate litters in the Northeast US and Eastern Canada with APET. If you are interested in having us evaluate your litter, fill out this short email application.
Whether you want to take your breeding program to the next level or you have decided to breed your bitch for the first time Avidog’s Breeder Mentoring Program is for you. We will guide you each step of the way beginning with caring for your bitch prior to breeding, the whelping process, rearing the puppies offering age-appropriate experiences through sending the puppies to their new homes.
Gayle will share her expertise guiding and helping you raise your puppies to become the best they can be.
What should you expect from us?
- A one-hour initial consultation via telephone or Skype
- Skype or telephone coaching calls to be held on mutually agreed upon days and times
- Weekly 30-minute coaching calls from your bitch’s conception through pregnancy
- Support, guidance and answers to your questions about feeding, exercising, conditioning and information on how to get both you and your bitch ready for whelping
- Weekly 60-minute coaching calls from the whelping until your puppies go home or are nine weeks old, whichever comes first
- Guidance in the care of your bitch and pups, how to introduce age-appropriate developmental experiences as well as what to watch out for that might indicate a problem might be developing
- Downloadable Puppy Schedules
- Downloadable Reports
- Checklists to help keep you on track
- Guidance in the puppy evaluation process to help you place each pup in its ideal home
- Regular emails to check on your progress
- Answers to any questions you might have about the breeding process
- Additional support will be available, if needed, for an additional fee
What resources will you need?
- A telephone or ability to Skype
- A video camera
- The ability to upload video to YouTube
- Facilities to whelp and rear a litter in the living area of your home
- The resources to care for your bitch and her puppies from breeding until they go home
What will we expect from you?
- To complete an application which will enable us to see if you are a good candidate for our program
- To be ready and committed to thinking differently about rearing and/or evaluating your puppies
- You must have a good-natured dog at least two years old that has all its required health clearances
- You must have been involved in dogs as a trainer, competitor and/or breeder for a minimum of 3 years
- You must know the kind of dog you intend to breed
- You must know the kind of people you want to breed for
Once you have been accepted into the Breeder Mentoring Program Gayle will work closely with you to help you as you navigate through this exciting breeding experience.
- Your investment for your 20-week mentoring program, that begins with getting your bitch ready to breed and takes you through sending your puppies home, is $2,000.
- You may choose to make four monthly payments of $550.
- If you wish to enter the Breeder Mentoring Program later than two weeks before breeding her, contact us for pricing.
We know this opportunity isn’t for everyone. If you want to add science, nature and Gayle’s 30 years of experience to help bring out the best in your puppies; if you want support each step of the way in breeding your bitch, rearing the litter and matching the puppies to their ideal homes, click the button below to get your application!
Complete the application and return it via snail mail to Avidog International, LLC PO Box 20456, Huntington Station, NY 11746 or fax it to 631-351-6104. Alternatively you can scan and email the application. We will respond within three days to discuss your application with you.
Avidog Breeder Mentoring is a one-on-one program that provides up-to-the minute guidance and support for you and your litter from before they are conceived until they go home. Gayle coaches each participant individually, based on his or her experience, situation and breed.