Looking for a dog breeder mentor or coach? Want to see how we raise our litters?
Whether you have a specific question about a breeding or want guidance every step of the way, we offer a breeder mentor program for you! 2016 AKC Breeder of the Year, Dr Gayle Watkins will be your primary mentor, ably supported by long-time breeders Marcy Burke and Lise Pratt. Which of these programs will work for you?
We offer four breeder mentor and coaching programs for dog breeders:
- Breeder Mentor Program, which covers the full length of a litter, taking you step-by-step through our puppy rearing methods.
- VIP Coaching Days, during which you join us for a day or two while we rear one of our litters.
- Breeder Coaching Program, where we do laser-focused coaching via phone or Skype to discuss your specific questions.
- Avidog Puppy Evaluation Testing, where we evaluate your litter in the northeast US or eastern Canada using our exciting new puppy temperament test.
Breeder Mentor Program
Whether you are an experienced breeder that wants to take your breeding program to the next level or you are just starting out, Avidog’s Breeder Mentor program is for you.
We will work with you each step of the way.
More and more dog breeders are struggling to find a like-minded breeder mentor to help them. To meet this need, we offer Avidog’s Breeder Mentor program. We will begin with caring for your bitch prior to breeding and during pregnancy, then preparing for whelping, caring for pups during the early weeks, and then rearing the puppies offering age-appropriate experiences through sending the puppies to their new homes.
How Breeder Mentoring Works
Avidog Breeder Mentoring is a one-on-one program that provides up-to-the minute guidance and support for you and your litter from before they are conceived until they go home. Gayle, 2016 AKC Breeder of the Year, personally coaches each participant individually, based on his or her experience, situation and breed.
- A one-hour initial consultation via telephone or Skype
- Skype or telephone coaching calls to be held on mutually agreed upon days and times
- Enrollment in “Your Litter A to Z” course (a $497 value)
- Two additional invaluable products:
- Email support, guidance and answers to your questions about feeding, exercising, conditioning and information on how to get both you and your bitch ready for whelping
- Answers to any questions you might have about the breeding process
What resources will you need?
- A telephone or ability to Skype
- A computer with online access
- Facilities to whelp and rear a litter in the living area of your home
- The resources to care for your bitch and her puppies from breeding until they go home
What will we expect from you?
- To complete an application which will enable us to ensure you are a good candidate for our program
- To be ready and committed to thinking differently about rearing and/or evaluating your puppies
Who may apply for the program?
- You must have a good-natured dog at least two years old that has all its required health clearances
- You must have been involved in dogs as a trainer, competitor and/or breeder for a minimum of 3 years
- You must know the kind of dog you intend to breed
- You must know the kind of people you want to breed for
Breeder Mentoring Tuition
Once you have been accepted into the Breeder Mentoring Program, Gayle will work closely with you to help you as you navigate through this exciting breeding experience.
- Your investment for your 20-week mentoring program, that begins with getting your bitch ready to breed and takes you through sending your puppies home, is $2,000.
- You may choose to make four monthly payments of $550.
- If you wish to enter the Breeder Mentoring Program later than two weeks before breeding her, contact us for pricing.
Ready to Have Avidog as Your Breeder Mentor?
We know this opportunity isn’t for everyone. If you want to add science, nature and Gayle’s 36 years of experience to help bring out the best in your puppies; if you want support each step of the way in breeding your bitch, rearing the litter and matching the puppies to their ideal homes, drop us a note to start the application process!
VIP Coaching Days
If you are ready to dig more deeply into your puppy rearing and evaluation skills, come see how we do ours!
During VIP Coaching Days, you can participate in all of the pups’ activities, including woods walks and training sessions. You get to closely examine the environments our pups are raised in–indoor and outdoor pens, playground equipment, brain- and body-stimulating toys and gear.
Join the Avidog Team for one or two full VIP Coaching Days to see firsthand how we raise puppies the Avidog way!
You can see how we introduce housebreaking to make our owners’ lives easier but also to drastically reduce our own clean-up demands. We will put you to work training and stimulating the pups as we teach them important manners and skills for their future, such as coming when called, following, crate training, sit, down, retrieving, and leash walking. Experience a typical day in the life of one of our litters: the fun of a litter’s Puppy Walk Party, or the intensity of their Avidog Puppy Evaluation Test.
Additionally, we will spend time with you analyzing and discussing your own breeding program, methods and setups. During this discussion we will suggest how you can incorporate the Avidog puppy-rearing techniques, taking into account your breed, breeding goals, living situation and time demands.
To insure that our VIP Coaching Days are right for you, answer the following questions:
- Are you ready to take your breeding program to the next level?
- Are you rearing your pups to be as healthy and stable as possible at the top of your list of goals for your litters?
- Do you know the kind of dogs you want to breed — pet, competition, working or some combination?
If you answer “yes” to each of these questions, we know you will not only enjoy but get a lot out of VIP Coaching. We look forward to opening our home to and sharing our puppies and methods with you.
Upcoming VIP Coaching Opportunities
- We are expecting two litters in 2017. Once the litter is born we will be posting our next VIP dates. Stay tuned!
How Your VIP Coaching Day Might Work
- We start with a strategy phone session. Prior to your arrival, we’ll get on the phone to get to know each other and figure out which activities will most benefit you. We’ll learn more about your breeding goals and program so we can plan your day for you.
- We start bright and early; you can join us if you want to. Wake up early to join us from the moment we get our puppies up to start their day. However, if you want to roll in later, that’s fine with us, too. Depending upon the time of year and age of the pups, we usually start the pups’ day between 7 and 8 AM with their morning potty walk. If the weather is good, that will be a woods walk, which is a great way to begin the day.
- Then we are off and running! From then on, the day is filled with puppy development activities that you are welcome to participate in. We even try to make the basics of cleaning and feeding into developmental opportunities for puppies. During this time, you’ll be in and out of our puppy play pens and all of our facilities. If you are here on APET Day, then you’ll join our buyers and owners for our intensive evaluation of the puppies, including discussion of the test itself, individual and overall results, and possible placements.
- We’ll treat you to lunch and dinner. We will also find the time to relax a little over meals. During these breaks, we’ll talk about your breeding goals and plans, the facilities and equipment you have, and integrating Avidog methods into your program.
- We’ll stay in touch afterwards. After your VIP Coaching Day, you’ll have access to a private resource page where we will post any specific resources we discussed during the day. We’ll also stay in touch over the next few months in case you have further questions or new situations arise.
VIP Coaching Tuition
- Rearing and Training Days – $300 per day (two-day maximum)
- Avidog Puppy Evaluation Test (APET) Day – $500
Ready to Get Started?
If you are ready to get started making your pups as healthy and stable as possible while increasing their trainability and confidence, then drop us a note with the dates you are interested in.
We only take a few VIPs at one time so it’s best to reserve ahead of time. We’ll email you the VIP application so we can get started.
If you are looking for some laser-focused coaching to tackle specific issues in your breeding program, then Breeder Coaching is for you!
This is our most flexible program, where you can get as much or as little time with us as you want. You get to choose the topics you are interested in discussing or the questions you want answered.
We can cover simple, how-to questions, such as how to feed your dam, wean or potty-train puppies, or more complex issues, such as evaluating puppies or planning your breeding strategy.
How Breeder Coaching Works
We will schedule a phone or video call at a time that is convenient to both of us, typically a week or so out. You can schedule a single call, several during the rearing of a litter, or weekly calls over the course of a breeding. The choice is yours. We can also be available for emergency calls from our coaching clients, say during whelping or puppy evaulations, for an additional fee.
Breeder Coaching Tuition
Just like the program itself, Breeder Coaching tuition also flexible. We coach by the hour so you can buy as many hours as you want–from one to four or even more–and use them 15 minutes at a time, now or over the next year. Hours don’t expire but they are also not refundable. Students actively enrolled in an Avidog breeder course receive a 10% discount for additional coaching hours.
- 30-minute package $125
- One-hour package $200
- Two-hour package $360
- Three-hour package $525
Ready to Get Started with Breeder Coaching?
If you want to dig into specific breeding and puppy rearing questions, drop us a note and we’ll send you our Breeder Coaching application.
APET Litter Testing
Our final breeder program is litter testing and evaluation. Avidog’s Transformational Puppy Evaluation Test (APET) is an exciting new tool that helps breeders match puppies to new owners, analyze litters overall and provide new owners with guidance and insights regarding their puppy. The APET measures 33 traits, from assertiveness with people and dogs to resiliency to prey drive to forgiveness. It works with all breeds and types of pups.
On occasion we are available to evaluate litters in the Northeast US and Eastern Canada with APET. If you are interested in having us evaluate your litter, fill out this short email application.